EDIM 513 Inquiry Based Learning

 

   Inquiry Based Learning

  I came into this course believing that inquiry based learning was a component of project based learning. You start with a question and work toward a solution.  After reading the material this week, I have learned that there is much more to inquiry based learning than meets the eye. 

     For one, teachers need to add the “Whaaa” factor.  They need to make answering questions and learning new things exciting. If they show enthusiasm for learning, hopefully that enthusiasm will carry over to the students.  I am looking forward to using the technique of asking the students what they would like to know, instead of what DO they know about a topic (Edutopia, 2016).  I believe it gives them more ownership in the question and they are more likely interested in seeking out an answer.

     While both types of learning are student-centered and work on problem solving and critical thinking skills, it seems that inquiry based learning has a large primary focus on the process of getting to the solution. Problem based learning is a type of inquiry based learning.  Usually this type of activity is completed over a shorter term when compared to a project based learning project.

Burning Questions

    The “burning questions” that I have are how to spark or trigger that curiosity about the more mundane topics.  How do you make subjects that tend to lack that excitement factor exciting?  I would also be interested to learn how to effectively have students reflect and assess themselves in lower grade levels.  I find it can be hard for them to narrow down, and focus in on key aspects of their inquiry and research processes.  Often, I find myself giving them prompts to assist.  But, the question is, do the prompts limit their own personal assessment of their performance?

References

Edutopia (2016, August 11). What the Heck is Inquiry-Based Learning?

George Lucas Educational Foundation. Retrieved February 27, 2023,

from https://www.edutopia.org/blog/what-heck-inquiry-based-learning-heather-

wolpert-gawron

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

EDIM 513 Week 5

U01A1 Blog- PBL Exemplars Analysis

EDIM 513 Inquiry-Based Learning Week 3