EDIM 513 Inquiry-Based Learning Week 7
On day one, I came into this course believing that inquiry based
learning was a component of project based learning. Students would begin with a
question and work toward a solution. Plain and simple. After
reading and investigating over the weeks, I have learned that there is much more
to inquiry based learning than meets the eye.
Students should view the process of
answering questions and learning exciting.
Teachers need to make it appear interesting by showing enthusiasm and
encouraging thinking outside of the box, a sense of comfort and community in
learning, the acceptance as mistakes and risk during investigation, and promote
investigating beyond a single direction or path.
One of the most important things that I
realized is that it is not about the outcome. It is about the process.
All of the “things” that go into finding a solution. The components to taking
part in an investigation. What students do with their mind, the habits of
the mind, the unteachable skills, thinking skills, and the desire to learn are
all important components of inquiry-based environments.
I have
learned that there are skills that are necessary to have to do inquiry such as
identifying questions that can be answered through investigations, designing
and conducting investigations, developing explanations, thinking critically,
make relationships between evidence and explanations, and communicating
procedures and explanations (Wilkes University EDIM, Unit 3, Topic A, n.d.).
There
are also understandings that are necessary about inquiry as well. For
example, when you have a variety of questions, you will have a variety of
investigations. Students must use current knowledge as well as gain new
knowledge. They should understand that technology can be used to compile
data and then they can analyze and quantify the results of their
investigations. Also, the readings taught me that they should understand that
“explanations emphasize evidence, have logically consistent arguments, and use
principles, models, and theories” (Wilkes University EDIM, Unit 3, Topic A, n.d.). Students should expect that sometimes when
they start of in one direction, what they find during an investigation can
cause them to turn down a totally different path of investigation.
One of the best ways to spark interest in
learning is to offer the best tools and resources for students to use during
the process. I am in a virtual learning
environment, so Web 2.0 tools are used daily.
This course brought me a wealth of new tools to use along with feedback
from teachers who have used the tools personally. I made a spreadsheet listing
the tools and how I will use them in the future. For example, I will try to use Whiteboard.fi
for small group and 1:1 math practice. I may use it as a whiteboard to use in
front of the class to complete a graphic organizer. I will be assessing my
students throughout lessons, so I will use Nearpod and Google Slides so they
can complete activities to show their knowledge, such as drag and drops,
matching, vocabulary, fill in the blank, short answer, collaboration boards,
and Time to Climb quizzes. Students will
be able to use their creativity and personal preferences when building
presentations through the use of presentation-making platforms such as Canva
and Prezi.
All in all I would like to include
inquiry-based learning into every lesson if I can. Whether it is in a simple way at the
beginning of a lesson where I would have the students write on Padlet about
what they know about a concept that we are about to learn and then have them
engage in a discussion about what they wrote with peers. Following that, they
could have a brief opportunity to research for an answer to see if they were on
the right track. I would also like to
have inquiry –based projects similar to the Life Cycle of the Monarch Butterfly
Unit that I designed for this course.
Students take a standard such as life cycle that includes migration and
expand into a wider, in depth look at population decreases while linking to
causes and solutions. I would like to allow the students time to practice
inquiry skills and the opportunities to investigate their own wonders from time
to time as well.
References
Wilkes
University EDIM 513. (n.d.) Unit 3, Topic A. Retrieved April 15, 2023 from
https://live.wilkes.edu/d2l/le/content/310611/viewContent/3754104/View
Wilkes
University EDIM 513. (n.d.) Unit 3, Topic B. Retrieved April 15, 2023
from https://live.wilkes.edu/d2l/le/content/310611/viewContent/3754105/View
Comments
Post a Comment